Cook time: see directions | Yield: 6 servings
- 1 ½ cups finely crushed herb garden crackers (or any flatbread cracker)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ½ pounds fresh broccoli florets, medium chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or to taste
- 5 ounces of cream cheese, cut into pats
- 5 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 2 quart baking dish with butter or spray.
In a bowl, mix the crushed crackers, Parmesan cheese and melted butter.
Place broccoli in baking dish.
In a pot, melt butter. Add flour and stir together. Continue to stir while cooking for about 3 minutes. Whisk in milk, stir to break up the flour, and heat the mixture to a soft boil, stirring constantly. Once milk is thickened, add Worcestershire, ketchup, salt, pepper, sugar and cayenne. Add cream cheese and crumbled blue cheese. Whisk until blended smoothly. Pour cheese sauce over broccoli.
Add crackers mix on top of casserole. Bake 30 minutes, uncovered.