Lasagna With Squash and Cheese Sauce
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 9 lasagna noodle sheets, cooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red crushed pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 cups milk
- 10 ounces Brebis cheese or goat cheese
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups shredded yellow zucchini
- 3 cups shredded green zucchini
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
Preheat oven to 375° F.
In a pot, heat olive oil and cook onions for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and red crushed pepper. Cook for another minute. Stir in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the milk and keep stirring until mixture becomes thick. Stir in the cheese until fully melted, then season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add the parsley.
Pour a little of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Layer 3 sheets of lasagna noodles to cover bottom. Pour more sauce and spread evenly. Top with 2 cups of mixed squash. Layer another 3 sheets to cover, followed by the sauce, then another 2 cups of mixed squash. Repeat another layer. You should end with the last cup of mixed squash. Top with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.